In Memory of Lawrence King
Home Guestbook Photo Gallery Memorial Fund Forums Angels Contact Us
Forum Home Forum Home > Anti-Violence and Tolerance Forum > For Parents and Teachers
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Things parents can do

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
donnietheg View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote donnietheg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things parents can do
    Posted: Mar 10 2008 at 8:18pm
I think it is important to bring up our kids in a gay-positive environment. I invite others to add their ideas. Here are some of the things I do with my kids:

1. Face and deal with our own homophobia (same for racism, classism, etc.). Societies not long ago considered homosexuality a crime, some still do. The fears that this legacy instills in us run deep and are complex to deal with.  Admitting you have homophobic and wanting to change this is part of the solution, being proud of it is not.

2. De mystify and give a face to homosexuality: e.g. along with all the other information you tell your kids about the world, draw their attention to gay people in the world of politics and other public spheres; or if you have friends or co-workers, teachers or relatives who are gay, share this information with your kids. No need to make a big deal about it. It is just another bit of information.

3. Draw you kids attention to gay issues and history.

4. Watch Will & Grace or other gay positive films or tv shows.

Any other ideas?

Post Reply Post Reply